Vision: We inspire and enable a better world through our scholarship and teaching about management and organizations.
Mission: To build a vibrant and supportive community of scholars by markedly expanding opportunities to connect and explore ideas.
Our mission is guided by key values:
- We value high quality research, teaching, and practice in the field of management and organization.
- We cultivate and advocate ethical behavior in all of aspects of our work.
- We provide a dynamic and supportive community for all of our members, embracing the full diversity of our backgrounds and experiences.
- We respect each of our members' voices and seek to amplify their ideas.
- We build cooperative relationships with other institutions committed to the advancement of scholarship and teaching about management and organization.
Areas of Strategic Intent
- Professional Impact
- State of the Profession
- Academy Management
- Implement series of recommendations from "Welcoming Task Force" report to foster a more welcoming annual meeting for new and international members. Annual Meeting
- Host a forum for non U.S. affiliate/associate groups to identify trends, issues of common concern and opportunities for collaboration. Partnerships/Kindred Organizations/Collaborations
- Define internationalization in the AOM in order to monitor participation and increase the involvement of members from different regions. Diversity
- Begin establishing robust mechanisms for international collaboration (research, teaching, practice, personal career development, etc.) starting with AOM Connect. Membership & Services
- Facilitate knowledge transfer regarding effective processes for holding collaborative thematic workshops. Data Gathering & Issue Exploration
- Hold our first non North American conference. Conferences
- Create and implement mechanisms to monitor and encourage international participation in division and Academy-wide governance. Governance & Organization
2. Professional Impact
- Produce a plan to invest substantial resources for the purpose of identifying and then beginning to respond to members needs for additional teaching resources. Membership & Services
- Define "professional impact" and for whom. Data Gathering & Issue Exploration
- Engage our colleagues and relevant stakeholders in a reflexive consideration and conversation about the meaning of professional impact. We will then engage in a conversation, broadening current operationalizations of impact (beyond articles, citations, media mentions) to include demonstrable effects on organizations and communities. Data Gathering & Issue Exploration
- Develop at least two new approaches to enhance our professional impact. Research & Practice
- Create meaningful rewards and recognition program for scholarship that inspires and enables a better world. Membership & Services
3. State of the Profession
- Establish an AOM diversity committee in order to monitor participation and increase the involvement of members from different backgrounds. Diversity
- Conduct a thorough analysis on the nature, climate and culture of diversity within the AOM. Diversity
- Engage in a study about the professional challenges facing members and identify what role the AOM might play in addressing them. Data Gathering & Issue Exploration
- Produce a report on the status of tenure track and non-tenure track positions and alternatives to attaining tenure as used by (business) schools around the world. Data Gathering & Issue Exploration
4. Academy Management
- Produce a white paper that examines an alternative dues structure. Issues to be addressed will include possibly providing some fee-based services (i.e., services that are unbundled from the dues) and offering new types of membership with associated differences in dues and fees. Membership & Services
- Build a larger portfolio of robust mechanisms to facilitate cross-Division and Interest Group community learning, knowledge transfer, and leadership development. Governance & Organization
- Conduct initial review of progress in executing the new Strategic Plan, in anticipation of a more thorough 5-year review of performance relative to mission, values and objectives. This initial review will assess whether near-term implementation targets for each Strategic Intent were achieved and assess the feasibility of meeting longer-term targets, and may lead to adjustments in the initial implementation plans. Governance & Organization
- Evaluate portfolio of AOM publications and make decisions on need for outlets that give voice to different paradigms, approaches, etc. Publishing & Journals